Saturday, June 17, 2006

After the nighout

Lazily I got up in the afternoon hoping to see my list of assignments for the week. The stress from the nightout on marketing was slowing wearing down. My laptop slowly came to life and I began checking my emails. They were the usual ones - funny links, deadlines, (more) elections results. I paused on one of the mails. Cobra mail. It did not interest me at first. There was a rumour of a student spotting a snake and students were cautious since then. Well it was worth a look. It was in my block. Ok, someone had also posted pictures. I stopped at picture 2 in shock. Well it was my quad! I got to know my quad mate had been awakened (he had a nightout too) by the local people at 9am in the morning as a cobra was spotted outside his window. Luckily his room window was closed. Heard the guards here quickly sprung into action. It was a sad story for the snake.

In this excellent campus, it is not uncommon to find peacocks, snakes, and lizards. Was it ethical to kill the snake? You may argue that one will not hesitate to kill an animal that is a threat to one's survival. Maybe it was already injured as I heard it did not move. The security personnel had acted in the interest of the majority but with prudence the creature could have been captured and left elsewhere in the campus. As Maslow's hierarchy says safety need is being addressed.


1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't know how to catch the snake, the most obvious reaction of many people is to kill it. But some people have hesitation in killing a cobra. There have been cobra sightings in and around my house until a few years back. Everyone was happy to just leave it alone. But in your case I guess the watchmen did it for the sake of you guys. You never know, a sleepy-eyed MBA student rushing for his morning class, could step on a snake mistaking it for a rope!

Ashok

 

Post a Comment

<< Home