Friday, March 10, 2006

Cyber city

Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me -Sigmund Freud

My sojourn at Hyderabad explained why it is a hot city. Hyderabad, like Bangalore, is an IT hub. What impressed me most were the wide three-lane roads. Demolished buildings on roadsides and flyover constructions suggest an increase in traffic.

Visited the Hitec towers which boasts of an infrastructure similar to ITPL Bangalore. In the morning, I travelled for about 20km without bumping a signal or a traffic jam - hardly a statement I can make in Bangalore. Not that there is smooth traffic flow in Hyderabad but I never ran into potholes or drains. Irrespective of traffic conditions, auto drivers there seem to flout rules. The driver of an auto, I happened to travel, cut in the highway to go on a one-way while the local "mama" totally neglected.

Being away from Bangalore had caused traffic sickness. Back home, I felt at ease once I experienced traffic jams - how else can you expect ones driving skills to be honed? Once the metro rail and possibly the mono rail are underway, personal vehicular traffic should decline.

[Mar 13] Addendum:
Bush's visit to ISB is making waves. My guess is his visit to Hyderabad but not Bangalore was more to do with ISB than with city infrastructure. Kiran Majumdar feels Today, Hyderabad, to some extent, has overtaken Bangalore


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home